2016 - 2017 Fitness Syllabus
2016-2017 Fitness Course Syllabus
- Course Description: Fitness courses stress the physical and social development of the high school student. Lifetime and personal fitness skill development, teamwork, and improving exercise, personal responsibility and fitness levels all contribute to the total well-being of the student.
- Course Objectives: Students will develop a healthy level of physical fitness and improve technique and skill levels. Students will also develop knowledge of personal fitness, personal responsibility, lifetime activities and team sports.
- Course Requirements: Preparation - Students will change into athletic shorts/pants and athletic t-shirts that are school appropriate. Blue and white colors are recommended to promote school spirit. Athletic sneakers that can be tied and laced, and socks are also required. Absolutely no sleeveless shirts, pajama pants, V-necks, cut-offs, jeans, or hiking boots. Participation- Students will participate in all activities and only be excused from participation with a valid doctor’s excuse. Failure to change and participate in three or more classes during a marking period will result in failing fitness class during that marking period with a 59%.
- GRADING: Grades are based on participation and effort (intensity and attitude), as well as preparation (proper dress, punctuality). Announced skill tests, quizzes, and written tests are also administered.
- 0 POINT – NO EFFORT /REMOVED FROM ACTIVITY/DID NOT PARTICIPATE
- 1 POINT – LITTLE EFFORT/UNCOOPERATIVE/BELOW BASIC SKILL LEVEL
- 2 POINT – SOME EFFORT/SOMEWHAT COOPERATIVE/BASIC SKILL LEVEL
- 3 POINT – MODERATE EFFORT/MOSTLY COOPERATIVE/SATISFACTORY SKILL LEVEL
- 4 POINT – HIGH EFFORT/ALWAYS COOPERATIVE/PROFICIENT SKILL LEVEL
- Missed Work:
- It is the student’s responsibility to contact the teacher(s) when he/she is absent from class to make arrangements to make up any missed assignments and/or assessments.
- All missed assignments and/or assessments must be made up within three school days from the day the student returns from the absence.
- Students with doctor’s notes for extended absences will be required to make up missed participation in class by completing course relevant written assignments within one class period.
- ****Due to the fact that fitness class is based on participation, students who have class every other day for the quarter may only miss three (3) classes & students who have class daily for the quarter may only miss six (6) classes for any reason (Dr. notes, Guidance apt., absent, vacation, etc.) after 3/6 days the grade for each missed class is a zero. This includes a doctor’s note requiring a student to be excused for medical reasons. Students with medical excuses may not miss more than 25% of classes. Students that surpass this mark will be withdrawn, and the course will have to be made up at a later date. Excused missed classes can be made up by completing alternate written assignments via google docs within 3 days of the missed class, or by engaging in 30 minutes of physical activity before or after school. Make-ups dates and times must be arranged with the instructor.
Fitness Class Procedures:
- All students must secure and lock all personal belongings in their assigned locker. (Clothing, Crome Book, Wallet, Cell Phone, etc.) Failure to do so is at one’s own risk.
- No food, drinks (other than water), gum allowed in the locker room or fitness facilities.
- All items must be removed from assigned lockers by the last day of scheduled class.
- Students are not to cut through the gyms to enter locker room. Please use the stairwells to avoid disrupting classes and tracking dirt through the gyms.
, ; (Last Modified about a minute ago)