Hello! I am Ms. Schaeffer. This will be my fourth year teaching at the Exeter Junior High School. I teach ELA Strategies for learning support students and push-in to some of the regular English Language Arts classes. I will help students continue to build on their reading and writing skills in the ELA classroom as well as in ELA Strategies so that they may continue to grow as strong readers and writers. When I'm not teaching, I am also the high school girls assistant cross country coach and a track coach.
A little about me:
I grew up in Fleetwood and graduated from Fleetwood Area High School. I then attended Kutztown University for Special Education and Elementary Education. I have 2 older sisters, and a few nieces and nephews. My students also come to know that I love dachshunds! After begging my father for years, we finally got a wienerdog for Christmas and named him Comet (Rudolph just wouldn't sound right in July). He lived to be 15! Some day I will have another wienerdog, but for now I just collect dachshund memorabilia! I also love to travel to new places. This past spring I adventured to London and Edinburgh.
What I did this summer:
I continued working on my masters degree in Reading at Kutztown University. I was able to get away for a few long weekends at my Uncle's cabin in West Virginia. The rest of the time was spent running with the cross country team and dodging raindrops!
Good books I read recently:
Salt to the Sea - Ruta Sepetys
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer (The movie is good on Netflix, but read the book!)
Tips for a successful school year:
1. Purchase an agenda. It can be a simple notebook, but you'll want something to write down your assignments!
2. Stay on top of your homework and test/quiz dates. If you get behind early, it's harder to catch up!
3. Use your time wisely in school. Have a spare moment? Read your AR book or study with Quizlet.
4. Check your grades regularly. Skyward lets you know your grades on assignments, upcoming quizzes and tests, and if anything is missing.
5. Use Schoology as a tool to help you! You can view the calendar to also see assignments and test dates. There are important class materials for your classes as well.