- 5-6 apples
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/3 cup butter (or vegetable oil)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash the apples.
- Peel the apples.
- Slice the apples. We used an apple slicer that cuts out the core and sections the apple. You can also use a knife: Cut the apple in pieces and cut away the core.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, flour, oats, and cinnamon.
- Cut in the butter: Using a fork or a pastry cutter, mash it into the dry ingredients until you have crumbs the size of small peas. It can help to soften the butter first.
- If you use oil instead of butter, mix it in with the dry ingredients.
- Spread the apples in a pie plate or a square baking pan. Sprinkle or spread the crumbs on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until apples are softened and the crumbs are browned.
- You can substitute other fruits for the apples.
- You can use a can of pie filling instead of the apples.
- In the summer, if you don’t want to heat up the oven, you can make this in a glass baking dish in the microwave. It’s not exactly the same as oven baked, but it’s good! Microwave for two minutes at a time until the apples are softened.